Every brick is a building block.
about our builds
Habitat for Humanity Kamloops works in partnership with people from our community to build homes, communities and hope. We build homes and then sell them to deserving families in need in our communtiy. We offer 0% interest mortgage loans with no down payment required. Habitat homeowners make monthly mortgage payments that do not exceed 30% of their gross monthly income. All mortgage payments are reinvested back into the program.
Habitat homeowners work hard to create a permanent solution to their housing struggles. Each Habitat partner family must complete 500 hours of “sweat equity” to build their home. Working on the Build, in our ReStores, at a Habitat event or attending homeowner education classes, meetings, and special events all contribute to sweat equity hours. Sweat equity can be done during the week, in the evenings and on the weekends.
Habitat does not give away houses. We sell them to hard-working families who partner with us. Qualified families must show that they have a need for housing, are willing to partner with Habitat for Humanity and are able to pay for a Habitat mortgage.
what are Habitat homes like?
Habitat for Humanity houses around the world are built according to the same guiding principles:
Habitat houses are modestly-sized. They are large enough for the homeowner family’s needs, but small enough to keep construction and maintenance costs to a minimum.
Habitat for Humanity uses quality, locally-available building materials. Habitat house designs reflect the local climate and culture.
The labour of volunteers and partner families, efficient building methods, modest house sizes and a no-interest mortgage make it affordable for low-income families to purchase Habitat houses.
Habitat houses in North America
U.S. and Canadian Habitat houses are modestly-sized by North American standards. Habitat’s guidelines dictate that a 3-bedroom Habitat house may have no more than 1,050 square feet of living space.
Habitat for Humanity and the environment
Habitat is committed to resource- and energy-efficient building practices. We make best efforts to use construction techniques that conserve natural resources and reduce long-term costs for Habitat homeowners.
- Excavation/Site Development
- Concrete Finishers (flatwork/foundation)
- Carpenters (framers)
- Finishing Carpenters
- Cabinets and Millwork
- Insulation Installers
- Windows and Doors installer
- Flooring Installers
- Siding Installers
- HVAC/Gas Fitter
what we are up to
Habitat for Humanity Kamloops & The Enderby Legion are joining forces to develop attainable housing for Senior’s and Veterans in Enderby. The Habitat Kamloops project will have commercial office space on the main level and residential housing...
HFHK is in the process of planning the development of a 20 unit seniors housing complex in Salmon Arm, BC. Construction is expected to begin Spring of 2021.
Habitat Kamloops is happy to be working with the Willard family building 2 homes in the Neskonlith area of the Shuswap If you are interested in learning more about Habitat for Humanity Kamloops and our builds, please email our Executive Director,...
Congratulations to our
apply for housing with our
affordable homeownership program
the application process
Habitat for Humanity invites families to apply during our selection process which occurs every other year. The next selection process will in 2021.
For more information on our selection process, contact our Executive Director, Bill Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org
who can apply?
Families, single-parent households, seniors, veterans, special needs and indigenous families can apply. Applicants must be a legal resident of Canada and have lived in Habitat Kamloops service region for a minimum of two years.
Habitat for Humanity does not give away houses. Habitat homes are sold to our Partner Families at current market value, with provisions to make housing attainable.
Each selected Partner Family will volunteer a total of 500 “Sweat Equity” hours, which must be completed within 12-18 months if moving into a previously built home. This may be waived for seniors, veterans, and special needs households. Volunteering in our ReStore or at Habitat Kamloops fundraising events may be considered. Sweat Equity is an important way to demonstrate commitment to home ownership and partnership with Habitat. Sweat Equity is not a down payment and there is no monetary compensation for sweat equity hours.
cost & size
Habitat for Humanity builds modest, decent affordable homes designed to be affordable and attainable in the communities we serve. The Partner Family is responsible for the payment of property taxes, city user fees, insurance, maintenance and all costs associated with owning and maintaining a home.
interest free mortgage
Partner Families are able to purchase the home from Habitat Kamloops with an interest free, maximum 35 year term mortgage that Habitat Kamloops carries. The mortgage has a number of special terms, including a buy-back provision in the event that the homeowner wishes to sell.
Do I need to submit my CRA forms, pay stubs and Equifax Credit report? Not at the initial application stage. If you are shortlisted, the Family Selection Committee will advise which documents are required.
Partner families must meet three essential criteria:
Applicants living in substandard housing are given preference. Those currently living in subsidized housing may also be eligible. You must have been living in the community where we are building for at least one (1) year. Some of the factors considered are:
- Current housing conditions such as poor wiring, ventilation, insufficient heating or bathroom facilities
- Health conditions – when medical conditions are made worse by current housing
- Family size as it relates to overcrowding
- Percentage of income currently spent on housing (more than 30% of gross income spent on housing costs)
- Safety of neighbourhood in which you currently reside
ability to pay
Habitat Kamloops does not want to put a family into a situation they cannot afford. “Ability to pay” implies that:
- A family earns enough income to pay an interest-free mortgage, property taxes, insurance, utilities, maintenance and all costs associated with home ownership.
- You must have a job and show a steady work history.
- Total family gross income must fall between $34,000 to $52,000
- The monthly payment is based on 30% of the family’s total family gross income. This covers the mortgage and property taxes.
- Income is verified for all adults intending to live in the home.
- The family’s income is reviewed annually and the mortgage payments are adjusted accordingly.
willingness to partner
Some of the factors considered:
- Willingness to participate in Habitat activities and work with Habitat in promotional and media events
- Determination to improve their family’s current situation
- Ability to schedule and complete 500 volunteer hours prior to moving into the new home. Families are encouraged to reach out to friends, family, work colleagues, church groups to assist them in completing the 500 hours.
family selection process
- You must submit your completed application to Habitat Kamloops’ office by the deadline noted on the application form and on our website.
- The Family Selection Committee will review all applications and meet with eligible families for the first interview.
- Families that move forward in the selection process will be asked for a second interview in their home. All family members must be present for the in-home interview.
- Selected families will be contacted and notified of their approval. They will then be asked to sign a Partnership Agreement and to begin their Sweat Equity hours.
- Families who are not selected will be notified by mail. You are invited to re-apply the following year.
- Once a family completes their Sweat Equity hours and the home is complete, they move in!
how do I apply?
If you meet the basic selection criteria that is outlined here, then we want to talk with you about a partnership. Application forms are available for pick-up at our Kamloops ReStore location or contact us to learn more.
Download our application by clicking the button below. *Build site to be announced
Your personal information is collected and used by Habitat For Humanity Kamloops (HFHK) for the purposes of administering our programs, including the Partner Family program. By signing this form, you agree that HFHK can share your personal information with other agencies, including Equifax, CMHC, MCAP and our banking partners. If you have any questions about the collection or use of your personal information, please contact Executive Director Bill Miller at email@example.com